For years of return on your outdoor kitchen investment, it is important to choose durable, long-lasting materials to build your outdoor kitchen cabinets. While there are several material choices available for an outdoor kitchen design, powder coated stainless steel has been hailed as the most popular and the most durable. Trex® Outdoor Kitchens™ is the optimal choice for stainless steel outdoor kitchen cabinetry, as our expertise will ensure a high-quality finish for your outdoor living space.
Benefits of Outdoor Kitchen Cabinets
Outdoor kitchen cabinets provide many benefits due to the options for customization and layout choices. To suit your personal aesthetic, options for colors, door styles, and handles provide the benefit of styling your outdoor kitchen. Along with styling, it is crucial to have a functional layout that provides adequate workspace, storage, and other features and amenities when using an outdoor cooking area in the outdoors. Outdoor kitchen base, wall, appliance, and corner base cabinets can provide all these necessary functions. In addition, the options for outdoor kitchen layout shapes allow for an efficient workflow when preparing and cooking food.
Outdoor kitchen cabinets also provide entertainment and financial value when you can house functional amenities in your outdoor space. Including features like an outdoor grill, outdoor kitchen cart, bar, refrigerator, and sink means you can have all the modern conveniences of an indoor kitchen for your outdoor kitchen. You can easily host outdoor parties and barbecues with loved ones and have everything within reach. This unparalleled convenience and entertainment value will be reflected positively in the resale value of your home, as homes that have outdoor kitchens tend to sell for more than homes without outdoor kitchens.
Outdoor Kitchen Cabinet Materials
When contemplating how to build outdoor kitchen cabinets, make sure you understand the types of materials you can use. Outdoor kitchen cabinets can be made from a variety of materials that range in durability and longevity for the outdoors. Understanding the pros and cons of each outdoor cabinetry material will help when choosing a brand for your outdoor kitchen design.
Concrete, brick, or stone
These natural materials are affordable and durable for weather conditions and heat, and they can also be customized with paint or colored tiles. Building outdoor cabinets made with these outdoor kitchen materials require professional and lengthy installation, may need repair over time, and they can be difficult to clean – especially when food is involved.
As a natural material, wood is the most popular option for indoor kitchen cabinets. It can also be used for outdoor kitchens, but it does require plenty of upkeep and maintenance. If exposed directly to the weather, it can rot over time. In addition, any painted wood on your outdoor cabinetry will need to be repainted regularly. Using pressure treated wood is the most durable option for building wooden outdoor kitchen cabinets, but it still requires maintenance when used in a backyard kitchen.
High density polyethylene (HDPE) and other plastics
Plastic is a popular material for outdoor furniture, since it will not rust, corrode, or rot. It is also used for other applications, such as bottles and cutting boards. Although it is available in many colors, the color will fade from exposure to the sun without UV protection. This material will also swell, crack, and warp from environmental changes in an outdoor space and will melt when exposed to high heat.
Aluminum does not rust, but it can corrode in the outdoors. It can be powder coated to reduce maintenance. It has a lower melting point than other metals and is a good conductor of heat, meaning it is not the best choice near hot cooking appliances when conducting the outdoor kitchen plan. It is also soft and lightweight, so it is susceptible to damage.
Unlike aluminum, bare stainless steel can rust when placed outdoors without regular maintenance. 304 and 316 grade stainless steel are the most popular grades for building outdoor kitchen cabinets. 316 is common in marine environments, because it holds up well when exposed to chemicals and saltwater. Stainless steel can be powder coated a variety of colors, which reduces maintenance to a minimum. It is highly durable, strong, and it can handle heat.
Steps in Building Outdoor Cabinets
Traditionally, kitchen cabinets were constructed with materials like wood, brick, and stone. Building outdoor cabinets using these materials is very time consuming and complicated, as you must build a frame to house the cabinets and appliances that will work within your dimensions and layout. Although building outdoor cabinets out of these materials is technically a “do-it-yourself” project, the materials are messy and tricky to work with – typically requiring a moderate degree of skill and experience. If you are using wood, you also need to consider weather proofing options like a roof or pergola over your outdoor kitchen. After constructing your outdoor kitchen cabinets, regular maintenance and replacement will be required.
Trex Outdoor Kitchens takes the guesswork out of building outdoor cabinets by taking the project out of the hands of the DIYers and into the hands of the experts. Although some of the process of building outdoor cabinets is the same regardless of material, we eliminate the hassle of building and installing your own cabinet frame and boxes that ultimately will not last in the outdoors. Our design experts are available for every step of the process to help you decide on layout, appliances and features, color options, and more.
- Meeting with a design professional. We have an inside sales and design staff at our Connecticut factory, as well as an expanding network of international dealers and reps, who can get you started with a free quote for your project. Our dealers can offer you a turnkey process as well – meaning that our dealers will handle everything from designing to installing your kitchen.
- Choosing layout and desired appliances. Trex Outdoor Kitchens can accommodate virtually any outdoor kitchen configuration for your outdoor living space. Our appliance cabinets will house almost every outdoor appliance on the market. With guidance from the experts, you can easily choose the plan and appliance options that are right for your cooking and entertaining lifestyle.
- Choosing door style, powder coat color, and handle. Our options for door styles, powder coat finishes, and handles will enhance the aesthetic in your outdoor kitchen. Our cabinets come standard with gaskets and magnetic closures for enhanced weather resistance as well, and powder coat offers beauty, minimal maintenance, and longevity to your outdoor kitchen cabinets all year round.
- Installing the cabinets. Unlike the tricky and messy installation required for other materials, our stainless steel cabinets are shipped preassembled with professional instructions. While more complex jobs may require a few days, smaller jobs can only take hours with experienced installers.
Unlike DIY projects that involve constructing your own cabinet frame with wood or brick, the process of designing and installing a stainless steel outdoor kitchen with Trex Outdoor Kitchens is a seamless process. You will work directly with professionals who can plan your outdoor kitchen from start to finish.
Why Choose Trex Outdoor Kitchens?
- Cabinets are manufactured in the USA with durable stainless steel (304 or 316 grade)
- Cabinets are long-lasting in virtually any climate
- A variety of cabinet types (base, wall, corner, grill, trash) in hundreds of sizes
- Plenty of options for storage space and organization
- Appliance cabinets will house nearly every outdoor appliance
- Attractive and UV resistant powder coat finishes minimize maintenance
- Seemingly endless layout options – from a straight run to a G shape and everything in between
- Semi-customizable with exclusive door styles and handles
- Expert consultation ensures a high-quality finish
Outdoor kitchen cabinets offer plenty of benefits, from convenience to customization to fit your outdoor kitchen idea. While you can choose from various brands and materials for your outdoor kitchen cabinets, being mindful of the pros and cons will aid in your selection. Trex Outdoor Kitchens offers beautiful and durable powder coated stainless steel cabinets in seemingly endless layout shapes, an extensive powder coat color palette, crafted door styles, and an abundance of convenience for outdoor food preparation, cooking, and entertaining.
Ready to invest in beautiful and durable stainless steel outdoor cabinets? Give Trex Outdoor Kitchens a call today!