Outdoor Kitchen Countertops
The two elements that bring together a kitchen, whether it be indoors or outdoors, are the cabinets and countertops. Outdoor countertops need to hold up against time and climate but also need to have the right look and feel to complement the outdoor living space. While Trex® Outdoor Kitchens™ does not manufacture or sell countertops, our outdoor cabinets can accommodate nearly any type of countertop you want in your outdoor kitchen. Additionally, our inside sales team is available to make recommendations and help with the design.
Choosing Materials for Your Outdoor Kitchen Countertops
Some of the most common materials for both indoor and outdoor kitchen countertops include granite, concrete, and soapstone. However, these materials have drawbacks when used outdoors.
- Granite countertops are durable and strong but tend to cost more than other materials, which makes it a less popular choice for those on a budget. In addition, they require sealing for protection.
- Concrete countertops, while durable, can fade over time. Consider the upkeep and maintenance required, as well as the porosity of this material.
- Light soapstone and marble countertops are attractive indoors but may stain outdoors. Using darker colors could reduce this issue. Darker colors overheat more easily, though, so shading options should be considered.
- Tile countertops are very susceptible to cracking, which could create a problem if the same tiles are not available when replacement is necessary.
Common Color Options for Outdoor Countertops
- Light Grey & White – Lighter colors lend to a more modern, sophisticated aesthetic. These colors exemplify a clean, soft look.
- Gold & Bronze – These warm colors will help to create a cozy outdoor atmosphere that is inviting to you and your guests.
- Beige – Elegant and neutral, beige offers a natural appearance to any outdoor space.
- Dark Grey & Black – Dark colors always give a sleek look to any design. Black is a staple color for virtually any aesthetic.
- Dekton® by Cosentino – A Dekton® by Cosentino countertop is highly recommended for the best results for your Trex Outdoor Kitchen. The ultra-compact surface is ideal for exterior use. It also offers UV resistance for color stability, unsurpassed strength and durability, resistance to scratches, and it is non-porous – requiring no maintenance. The countertops are also available in a wide range of colors and finishes, allowing you to perfectly complement any Trex Outdoor Kitchens cabinet finish.
We recommend choosing outdoor countertops that fit your lifestyle. While most outdoor countertops will remain structurally sound over time with limited maintenance, they do require additional protection to look their best. But don’t neglect aesthetics! If you choose the right material and color, you won’t have to sacrifice beauty for durability. Choose outdoor kitchen countertops that have the following features:
- UV resistance for color stability outdoors
- Exceptional strength
- High resistance to impacts, scratches, and abrasions
- Non-porosity – requiring no maintenance